Wednesday, April 15, 2015

MORE FROM OUR SPRING BREAK



One good thing about being the wife of a grad student is the fact that we get those holiday/seasonal breaks again. We're not limited to the two weeks of vacation at our everyday jobs. It was really nice over Christmas to have over a month off so that we could visit both of our families since they are in different states.
For spring break/Easter we were in Connecticut because it's much closer to go there for a short holiday break and spend time with family friends. While there, we usually make a point to see a landmark or do an "authentic" activity.
This time we made our way to the beach...for a short little time. It was very windy and cold (it's still early spring!), but the sunshine was great! I haven't seen the Atlantic Ocean a whole lot, but this year, I'll have the chance to see the Atlantic and Pacific.


We also wandered through the Yale University Art Gallery. I liked it A LOT. From what I've seen, I think that Ivy League schools have much better collections than the more established art museums. Most of the time it's less crowded and free to get into them as well...major plus! But seriously, the Yale and Princeton galleries have works of many major artists...at least ones I really like (i.e. Degas, Van Gogh, Rauschenberg, etc.). The architecture on the campuses is really beautiful, too.


I especially liked the special exhibit Yale had on James Abbott McNeill Whistler's etchings. I'm a sucker for the prints and drawings sections...printmaking is my thing. Whistler's work was very fascinating. I love how detailed he was and it's pretty incredible how many unique prints he made in his lifetime considering that wasn't his only art niche. If you have a chance to see the exhibit through July 19, 2015, then do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment