Thursday, April 30, 2015

DESTINATION: NIAGARA FALLS


Before April is over I should share the rest of my adventures from the month. The same week I traveled to NYC, I also drove over to Niagara Falls (my back was hurting from the driving, but it was worth it). Everything was still thawing out at the falls, and there were very large chunks of ice clinging to the rocks below them, despite the raging waters. I don't understand how all the power from the falling water wouldn't knock the ice and snow away, but that's part of the wonder I guess.



That was also my second time seeing the falls. The first time was in October of 2012 with my friend Hannah. {She was the only one crazy enough to drive the long way with me over a quick, three-day weekend.} We saw it from the Canadian side (as that was the fastest route for us...over the Ambassador Bridge via Michigan), but it turns out that the Canadian side is the best side to view the falls from.


No worries though, if you are on the American side (as I was this time), you can easily travel to Canada via the Rainbow Bridge. If you are just going to see the falls and not traveling to other establishments, I would recommend walking across the bridge instead of driving (just remember to bring your passport!). The line of cars to get from one country to another looked like such a long wait (probably over 30 minutes on the average day we went). Also, if you drive you pay a higher toll to cross the bridge. You pay a 50 cent toll when walking back to America, but hey, the view is pretty good for the price.

Of the times I've been to Niagara, I would say the autumn is DEFINITELY a great time to visit. The leaves on the trees are so beautiful at that time. (Also, the tourism isn't so crazy because it's an off season.) But the trees are such a wonderful contrast to the blue/green waters of the Niagara River during the fall. I love the color in the water here in New York. In Wisconsin, where I'm from, the water was always muddy looking. In New York it has that green patina. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the soil as I have noticed the soil being much more red in color here.

If you are in Canada, a great place to eat is The Syndicate Restaurant and Brewery...seriously the best burger I've ever had was made there.

No comments:

Post a Comment