Saturday, April 04, 2015

DIY PICTURE FRAME CHALKBOARD


Finally it's been feeling more like spring in upstate NY! It's been a loooong winter for sure. (The second coldest on record I heard.) So I was definitely on top of it when the first jacket-less day rolled around...full on spring cleaning with opened windows. I love getting fresh air into the apartment and getting that dank winter smell out.

With all that spring cleaning came my first DIY for the blog. I've been thinking about adding a chalkboard to our little dining room area for a while, but didn't really want to spend much money. So I used a cheapy frame I had lying around. Sorry no "before" picture, but the frame below is very similar, and I had all of the supplies already: chalkboard spray paint, white acrylic craft paint, paintbrush, chalk.


This was all very simple and didn't take long to transform at all. I just removed the glass from the frame and painted on several coats (like 3-4) of the chalkboard paint, making sure to let each coat dry completely before adding more. The frame was a very gaudy gold, and I wanted to tone it down a bit but still allow the gold to show through. So I painted the white acrylic paint lightly over the cleaned frame with a brush and then wiped away areas where I thought there was excess. Once everything was dry I put the frame back together and seasoned the chalkboard. The part that took the longest was the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment